ProcessHouse

Building a Modern Tiny House in Connecticut

Recent Comments

• Dana Seccombe replied to Wall Framing Complete - Rafters Going Up on 20 August 2016 2:40 pm

Out here in California I've had occasion to research "shear walls" whose purpose is to keep a building from falling down in an earthquake. I would have thought screws would be the better way to build one, but nails are. The reason: in a high "strain" situation, where the building may move inches, a nail can pull out, say an inch, and still maintain its structural strengh (though the walls will be deformed). A screw will strip the threads if moved one thread pitch-- and lose a lot of its strength. So, screws provide higher initial strength, but once things progress past the shear strength of wood, nails are actually better. You still probably made the right choice with screws, but I found this topic interesting when I researched it...

• Melody replied to "The Trailer" no more - now "The House" on 9 August 2016 10:51 am

Ahhh it's a HOUSE! It's beautiful.

• Mike replied to Teeny Tiny Cardboard House on 15 February 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words, Sally. I am working on a second, smaller model right now which shares a similar aesthetic. A lot of tiny houses try to fit a lot into them with very little breathing room for each "zone", which--to be fair--may be required if more than one person will be sharing the space. But I'm focused more on designing a space that is optimal for one full time occupant, with space for visitors when they drop by.

• Sally replied to Teeny Tiny Cardboard House on 15 February 2015 9:37 am

I am loving the model of the tiny house with a modern aesthetic, it seems to build on the uncluttered and open feel of that style, and it seems that anyone planning to downsize to a much smaller house (even if not a tiny house!) should be taking lessons from your designs!

• Mike Spooner replied to Tiny House Loft (Re)design on 12 November 2014 12:21 pm

Thanks so much, Gabriella. I'm honored :) Your home has been one of my inspirations.

• Gabriella replied to Tiny House Loft (Re)design on 12 November 2014 12:05 pm

I absolutely love your design! Can't wait to see it built!

• Mike replied to Next Steps on 29 October 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks Susanne. I'm building in my backyard, but not sure where it will end up after that.

• Susanne replied to Next Steps on 29 October 2014 2:18 pm

That's great, what town are you building in?

• Mike replied to Next Steps on 27 October 2014 11:11 pm

Thanks Katie!!

• Mike replied to Floorplan & Interior Renders on 27 October 2014 11:09 pm

Thanks so much Roberta (and sorry for not replying sooner--still getting used to the comments system!)

I've started to see the shed roof being used more often on tiny houses now, but it can be tough to get it to look good on the exterior because it does make the the structure appear taller than it would with a gable roof. Having large windows helps with that.

Thanks for following!